Clumsy Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Princess

Nobility
City
n/a
Country
Australia
Hi guys! This is my first post here, so I decided to adress a topic that is so very "me" :eek:
I was wondering if anyone knows of any "clumsy" royals-as I am very clumsy myself, and for some reason it makes me feel better to know that there are people who are supposed to be all dignified in public can be just like me! I don't suppose anyone has ever broken plates, glasses, or teacups? Knocked over a priceless statue?:eek: :p

welcome to the forum Aussie Princess! Hope you enjoy it. I cant think of any royals that are clumsy but there are sure to be some around. Ill do some research:)

But dont worry, i am very clumsy

I've deleted all the off-topic posts, and I hope we can now get this thread back on topic with some serious answers to the question in the original post.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator

Welcome Aussie Princess,

I can't recall any royal incidents of clumsiness. I can recall a few acts by a few U.S. Presidents so I will be interested to see of there are any factual stories to be told.

Thinking of clumsy, the first picture that comes to my mind is of Queen Sofia's slip in the stairs of the White House. Not that she's clumsy at all, but this picture just came to mind....

As for really clumsy royals, I'll have to think about it....;)

I wouldn't say these people are clumsy.....I would only like to think that they had a bit of an accident that's all. Personally, when I am distracted (as most of these royals probably are) I tend to sometimes lose focus of what I am doing. In doing so, "accidents" or "clumsiness" are more likely to occur.

Do you have a pic of Qsofia?

Victoria of Sweden has said that she is very clumsy. But I cant think of any photos right now... I´ll see if I can find any!

Thanks for all the welcomes guys, it's so nice of you!
I feel ofr poor Queen Sofia, that must have been embarrassing! I really like her, being Australian I know quite a bit about British Royals, but have only recently started learning about all the Royal families aroundt he world, and I'm finding it fascinating!

Staircases must be an abiding nightmare for queens and princesses in their long gowns and their high-heeled shoes.

Looking at the photos of Princess Mary's wedding shoes, I'm very impressed that she got through that ceremony without managing to trip over her gown or something else and break her neck, considering how high and narrow those heels were.

I Know That Out Of The U.s. Presidents That President Bush And Barbara (the Older Bush Couple) They Were Very Clumsy And There Are A Lot Of Pictures To Prove It. Pictures Of Him Stepping On Her Feet. Them Both Falling. Many. Sorry That Is Off Topic.

There is a set of videos entitled Royal families of the World and in the one about the Luxembourgios royal family you see Grand Duke Henri (at that time crown prince) going to take a glass of wine from a lady holding a tray of glasses and he knocks the tray spilling the wine over the lady.

Yennie said:
Victoria of Sweden has said that she is very clumsy. But I cant think of any photos right now... I´ll see if I can find any!
Yennie, isn't there a photo of her treading on someone's foot? I even think there's a thread dedicated to some of the funny things she's done, but I might be wrong.

I recall reading a book (could it be Tronarvingene?) where Victoria told about one of the first state dinners she attended, where King Harald, I think, was also in attendence. There was something tricky about eating some of the dessert, and some of hers slipped across to King Harald's lap. He took it all in good humour.

There was also a case of Queen Margrethe stepping wrong and tumbling down a hill in Rebild Bakker a few years back, I think I recall.

Danielle said:
Yennie, isn't there a photo of her treading on someone's foot? I even think there's a thread dedicated to some of the funny things she's done, but I might be wrong.

she stepped on Crown Prince frederiks foot at the bridge betweeen sweden and denmark you can see the photos at the swedish forum

and she also dropped something so in photos it looks like she is laying her head in crown prince hakoons lap

lamass said:
I Know That Out Of The U.s. Presidents That President Bush And Barbara (the Older Bush Couple) They Were Very Clumsy And There Are A Lot Of Pictures To Prove It. Pictures Of Him Stepping On Her Feet. Them Both Falling. Many. Sorry That Is Off Topic.
George Bush vomitted on a Japanese official (prime minister maybe) once.

Yikes! How embarrassing!

I agree about the long dresses and high heeled shoes that- I would go for flat shoes I think!

Josefine said:
she stepped on Crown Prince frederiks foot at the bridge betweeen sweden and denmark you can see the photos at the swedish forum
Ah, that's the photo I was thinking of Josefine. Thanks. I'll have a search for it later. :)

Danielle said:

I don't know that I've seen clumsy royals at work, but there have been some really odd pictures from events....facial expressions and the like. Knowing that we have a thread for clumsy pics I will definately keep my eyes open! ;)

A personal note to Danielle: Not everyone is sold out...you can buy them here: http://www.veganessentials.com/ I think they're around $5.00 a bag too!

I suppose clumsy acts like knocking over the furniture and walking into doors would have been more common in the days before contact lenses became available and female royals didn't want to wear glasses. But back then the press was probably more discreet about reporting it!

i'm sorry to mette marit's fans, but she comes to my mind when i think of clumsiness :s
her special hunchback way of walking that makes her look quite unelegant sometimes, the (don't remember if 1 or 2) times she had to use crutches and that time she fell in front of a house (i think it was in london) when coming out.

poor queen sofia... falling in front of the president of the united states wasn't a really good entrance. hillary could have been much more helpful: she just standed there looking at her without turning a hair while mr. clinton and the king helped her.

both martha louise and maxima (as far as i remember) got their long dresses "stepped on" by someone... (maxima in the national day and martha louise in a royal wedding, don't remember which one), not royal people but it's not nice stepping on someone's dress worth thousands of dollars :)

There is already a same thread .

Funny face of the royals thread is similar to this one.

carlota said:
i'm sorry to mette marit's fans, but she comes to my mind when i think of clumsiness :s
her special hunchback way of walking that makes her look quite unelegant sometimes,

I wouldn't say that this is clumsy of Mette-Marit though. It's poor posture for sure, but it's not clumsy.

carlota said:
the (don't remember if 1 or 2) times she had to use crutches and that time she fell in front of a house (i think it was in london) when coming out.

I think this is part of my trouble with this thread. Unless you live with someone or spend a lot of time with them, you can't really tell if someone is clumsy. Being clumsy implies fumbling around incessantly. If you trip or fall once or twice (and as royals have the bad luck of being photographed for the world to see when doing so), well, that's just life. Who hasn't tripped now and then? Or who hasn't suffered an injury from participating in sports? At least one of the occasions Mette-Marit was on crutches was the result of a skiing accident. Plenty of people injure themselves while skiing annually but that doesn't make them clumsy.

carlota said:
poor queen sofia... falling in front of the president of the united states wasn't a really good entrance. hillary could have been much more helpful: she just standed there looking at her without turning a hair while mr. clinton and the king helped her.

I think it might've been considered polite and gentlemanly for President Clinton to reach out and help Queen Sofia up. It would've looked even worst if Hillary had reached out and helped Queen Sofia up while President Clinton stood there staring at her without turning a hair.

carlota said:
both martha louise and maxima (as far as i remember) got their long dresses "stepped on" by someone... (maxima in the national day and martha louise in a royal wedding, don't remember which one), not royal people but it's not nice stepping on someone's dress worth thousands of dollars :)

But getting your dressed on isn't the result of clumsiness on Martha Louise or Maxima's part. They didn't step on the trains of their own dresses. And I'm sure that nobody intended to step on the trains of their dresses (making "not nice" redundant); simply that it was an accident -- that whomever wasn't paying attention to how fast Martha Louise and Maxima were walking and accidentally stepped on their dress. (The one time was at Haakon and Mette-Marit's pre-wedding dinner and King Constantine stepped on Martha Louise's dress.)

Again, I think you have to know someone before you can judge them clumsy. A trip here and there, a mis-step or a fall here and there doesn't amount to labelling someone as clumsy. A picture of a royal stumbling now and then doesn't mean they are clumsy. That is like saying that just because you've seen a royal pictured with a glass of wine in their hands a couple of times that they are an alcoholic.

I had a roommate in university who was truly clumsy. She banged into every corner in our apartment. Every morning she banged into something, whether it was her bed post as she was getting up in the morning or the wall opposite her door on the way to the bathroom in the morning. I never got out of bed until I could hear go "Oooph" then "Owww." There is a big difference between my roommate's clumsiness and Queen Sofia tripping on the steps up to the White House or Mette-Marit having a skiing accident and ending up on crutches or King Constantine stepping on Martha Louise's train.

Alexandria said:
But getting your dressed on isn't the result of clumsiness on Martha Louise or Maxima's part. They didn't step on the trains of their own dresses. And I'm sure that nobody intended to step on the trains of their dresses (making "not nice" redundant); simply that it was an accident -- that whomever wasn't paying attention to how fast Martha Louise and Maxima were walking and accidentally stepped on their dress. (The one time was at Haakon and Mette-Marit's pre-wedding dinner and King Constantine stepped on Martha Louise's dress.)

no, no... not saying it was their fault... but the people who stepped on them. poor girls with those faboulous dresses... it's not any nice seeing someone stteping on them! however they both reacted normally and smiled :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom