Princess Hisako Takamado and Family: News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tabloids focused on Princess Tsuguko late 2019 and early 2020 about a possible engagement.

Jprime December 17, 2019 reported Princess Tsuguko would soon be engaged to her boyfriend of several years, a major bank employee. Reporters tried to ask him (referring to him as Mr. A) in November while he hailed a taxi but he quickly escaped.

Bunshun followed Princess Tsuguko and her alleged boyfriend leaving a seafood pub in Ginza on January 10. Photos include Princess Tsuguko and a female friend visiting an Okinawan restaurant in September 2019.

Bunshun become bold. Their reporters caught Princess Tsuguko and her alleged boyfriend on January 29 leaving a shabu-shabu restaurant in Roppongi.

Exchange on page 2
Reporter: Did you hear that your engagement is likely to be announced?

Tsuguko: No... I haven't.

Reporter: What is your relationship with Mr. A, who is with you?

Tsuguko: It is a friend

Reporter: So, are there any other people who love you?

Tsuguko: No, I don't.

Reporter: It is often reported about marriage...

Tsuguko: I'm not saying anything to anyone.

Reporter: So, the engagement rumor isn't true?

Tsuguko: Indeed

Reporter: 6 years have passed since you said in 2014 that you probably wouldn't marry for at least 3-4 years. How do you feel now?

Tsuguko: Indeed (laughs) but he's a friend.

It is an interesting double standard (from my perspective as a foreigner) how discussion of grave royal issues such as Emperor Showa's war responsibility is controversial and curbed, and yet walking up to a royal at a restaurant to press her about her romantic prospects is unremarkable.

It seems as if Princess Tsuguko won't be departing the imperial family in the near future, perhaps to her mother's disappointment.

I think this picture is a good example of how Princess Tsuguko was a little more rebellious:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...sin-von-japan-picture-id544575211?s=2048x2048

Although not very extreme, her makeup is definitely gyaru inspired, and I think she had a fake tan as well. She's much paler now. There was also a time when she dyed her hair, something most Japanese royals don't do. Unless they're hiding their graying hair *cough*the Crown Prince*cough*

It never occurred to me, but now that you mention it, it does seem much nearer to the image of a 'gyaru' than for example the Akishino princesses, who seem to adopt a much more traditionalist aesthetic.

Princess Tsuguko is well known to have been a bit of a wild child in her younger years. There were many references in gossip columns at the time.

In this linked article about the press coverage of Princess Noriko's engagement, there is a short paragraph towards the end of the article about Tsuguko, and what a challenge she was to Princess Hisako:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...a-minds-manners-royal-reportage/#.XvdyYS-ZPjA

Fortunately, both Akiko and Tsuguko have some fans despite the lack of official coverage. I can understand for Akiko since she's more visible as a professor at various universities and has many patronages but Tsuguko doesn't have as much public service.

I wonder if the apparent "royal rebel"/Roppongi party girl reputation in the media accounts for the existence of a fanbase?

Last edited:
Wouldn't Tsuguko be supposed to deny everything until it is announced? And if they are indeed not yet engaged, she can truthfully deny the rumor even if they would be considering marriage; I just hope that if she wants to marry him, he is considered worthy of a marriage to an imperial princess.

The 'a friend' is what we've heard in many countries when a boy friend or girl friend of a royal showed up. Not sure how whether it works the same in Japan though.

:previous: Yes, her denial would be expected. It's also highly unusual for media to approach any Imperial family member outside the choreographed press conferences/photo ops. I can't recall that happening before. Perhaps Bunshun thought it safe to ask a lower-ranking member. I doubt any media would try to interview Princesses Mako or Kako when they're out privately.

Princess Hisako's message for the 2020 Digital Japan Bowl on May 29, skip to 9:20
2020 Japan Bowl Program, page 2 includes her message and a formal photo.

hisako_japanbowlpdf.jpg

:previous: A nice and friendly message from HIH.

Yes, her denial would be expected. It's also highly unusual for media to approach any Imperial family member outside the choreographed press conferences/photo ops. I can't recall that happening before. Perhaps Bunshun thought it safe to ask a lower-ranking member. I doubt any media would try to interview Princesses Mako or Kako when they're out privately.

Thank you for clarifying! Should we give more credibility to the speculation, then, in view of Bunshun's atypical display of confidence?

[...] Thank you for clarifying! Should we give more credibility to the speculation, then, in view of Bunshun's atypical display of confidence?
You're welcome! :flowers: I'm not sure. Perhaps it's an isolated event. If such ambushes happen more or if the tabloids approach a higher ranking royal, I'd imagine the IHA might take some action.

Bunshun has been irritant. The English IHA press release page has 2 links refuting an article in Bunshun's January 2016 issue, claiming Empress Michiko scolded Crown Princess Masako at Emperor Akihito's birthday dinner on December 23, 2015.
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-kunaicho/release.html - for some reason this article merited 2 responses AND English translation from the IHA.

The Japanese IHA press release page refutes Weekly Bunshun "週刊文春" 9 times over the years.
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/kunaicho/koho/taio/taio-kako.html

The next irritant is Weekly Shincho "週刊新潮" with 7 responses.

Last edited:
Princess Hisako recorded a message for the Tokyo American Club's Independence Day Virtual Celebration.

Skip to 9:50 [-] [/-] (sadly, link already expired...)

Luckily, I transcribed her message last night.

"So, first of all I would like to wish everybody a happy 244th Independence Day hosted by the Tokyo American Club. First I think I’d like to express my condolences for all the lives that have been lost to COVID-19 and send my condolences to all those who’ve lost their loved ones. I would like to convey my admiration and appreciation to all medical doctors and medical workers that have risked their lives to save lives. And of course, my thanks go to the people in the essential services without whose work, none of us would have been able to stay home and stay safe. So thank you to you all.

As an honorary member, or a long time honorary member, of the Tokyo American Club, my late husband and I and my three children have had many an occasion to enjoy the facilities of the Tokyo American Club. The many different interests to which you cater, the wonderful quality of the food and the drinks, the wine. I think of the many fans and in particular, the amazing atmosphere of the American Club is a very, very special thing. It owes a lot, of course, to the wonderful staff and to the many hours that the members of the board and voluntary people offer but as in the case of all large groups, the atmosphere at the Club is made by its members. So I think you should all stand back and applaud yourselves for the wonderful atmosphere you bring to that Club.

This year has been a rather strange year for all of us. It has been a divisive year as well. But the Tokyo American Club stands as an important, visible symbol of the good relations between the United States and Japan. It is an important reference point to which we can all refer. In particular it is important that young people spend a lot of time and space together, and grow to realize that the human race has much more in common that it has differences. In a sense, it is our investment for the future. In this the year, the Zodiac year of the Rat - or as I would prefer to think of it, Mouse - I’m reminded of the well known words of Robert Burns “the best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry.” I hope to see you all soon in person. I hope it all settles but until then, stay safe, make sure you wash your hands, make sure you wear your masks, make sure you social distance, and enjoy it as much as you can but there is no point in being sad about it, we just have to go on. So stay safe and I look forward to seeing you all again soon in person. Happy Independence Day."

I noticed Princess Hisako was the ONLY speaker to wear a mask despite it being a recording at her residence. American speakers and the other Japanese speaker Mayor Masaaki Takei of Minato Ward did not wear masks for their recorded messages. I know the Imperial family must be apolitical but I wonder if the princess was trying to encourage wearing masks.

hisako_tac.jpg

Last edited:
:previous:

Thank you for transcribing her excellent speech!

"So, first of all I would like to wish everybody a happy 244th Independence Day hosted by the Tokyo American Club. First I think I’d like to express my condolences for all the lives that have been lost to COVID-19 and send my condolences to all those who’ve lost their loved ones. I would like to convey my admiration and appreciation to all medical doctors and medical workers that have risked their lives to save lives. And of course, my thanks go to the people in the essential services without whose work, none of us would have been able to stay home and stay safe. So thank you to you all.

[...]

It owes a lot, of course, to the wonderful staff and to the many hours that the members of the board and voluntary people offer but as in the case of all large groups, the atmosphere at the Club is made by its members. So I think you should all stand back and applaud yourselves for the wonderful atmosphere you bring to that Club.

It was considerate of her (and perhaps very Japanese?) to pay homage to the labor of the members and staff of the club, in addition to essential workers and medical staff in general.

It has been a divisive year as well. But the Tokyo American Club stands as an important, visible symbol of the good relations between the United States and Japan. It is an important reference point to which we can all refer. In particular it is important that young people spend a lot of time and space together, and grow to realize that the human race has much more in common that it has differences.

I wonder what her talk of "a divisive year" is referring to - Japanese politics, American politics, Japan-US relations?

I noticed Princess Hisako was the ONLY speaker to wear a mask despite it being a recording at her residence. American speakers and the other Japanese speaker Mayor Masaaki Takei of Minato Ward did not wear masks for their recorded messages. I know the Imperial family must be apolitical but I wonder if the princess was trying to encourage wearing masks.

Interesting observation. The "make sure you wash your hands, make sure you wear your masks, make sure you social distance" seems like a fairly direct appeal also. But it is in line with the government guidance, isn't it?

Bunshun has been irritant. The English IHA press release page has 2 links refuting an article in Bunshun's January 2016 issue, claiming Empress Michiko scolded Crown Princess Masako at Emperor Akihito's birthday dinner on December 23, 2015.
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-kunaicho/release.html - for some reason this article merited 2 responses AND English translation from the IHA.

The Japanese IHA press release page refutes Weekly Bunshun "週刊文春" 9 times over the years.
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/kunaicho/koho/taio/taio-kako.html

The next irritant is Weekly Shincho "週刊新潮" with 7 responses.

I wonder, does the IHA lash out at Bunshun in particular because it is the most radically inaccurate, or accurate? :ninja:

Thank you for transcribing her excellent speech!

It was considerate of her (and perhaps very Japanese?) to pay homage to the labor of the members and staff of the club, in addition to essential workers and medical staff in general.

I wonder what her talk of "a divisive year" is referring to - Japanese politics, American politics, Japan-US relations?

Interesting observation. The "make sure you wash your hands, make sure you wear your masks, make sure you social distance" seems like a fairly direct appeal also. But it is in line with the government guidance, isn't it?
You're welcome! :flowers: I'm bummed the club removed the Facebook video. Perhaps it's restricted to members?

I suspect "divisive" could apply to all 3: Japanese politics, American politics, Japan-US relations. PM Shinzo Abe continues to be dogged by scandals and problems: former top aide Kawai vote-buying, Moritomo land document tampering, wife Akie Abe's cherry blossom viewing party, unpopular attempt to extend of retirement age for prosecutors, ridiculed "Abenomask" initiative to give all Japanese households 2 face masks, fumbling of COVID-19 response.

Sadly, face masks has become a political issue in the US. As for Japan-US relations, the US seeks to decrease the trade deficit and wants Japan to pay more for US troops. Many in Okinawa protest the relocation of a US military base from Ginowan to Henoko. Also, US aircraft has lost windows over schools/residential areas in recent years.

I didn't listen to the other speakers. Princess Hisako didn't need to wear a mask in her own home so I found it noteworthy that she did regardless of government guidelines/common practice in Japan.

You're welcome! :flowers: I'm bummed the club removed the Facebook video. Perhaps it's restricted to members?

I suspect "divisive" could apply to all 3: Japanese politics, American politics, Japan-US relations. PM Shinzo Abe continues to be dogged by scandals and problems: former top aide Kawai vote-buying, Moritomo land document tampering, wife Akie Abe's cherry blossom viewing party, unpopular attempt to extend of retirement age for prosecutors, ridiculed "Abenomask" initiative to give all Japanese households 2 face masks, fumbling of COVID-19 response.

Sadly, face masks has become a political issue in the US. As for Japan-US relations, the US seeks to decrease the trade deficit and wants Japan to pay more for US troops. Many in Okinawa protest the relocation of a US military base from Ginowan to Henoko. Also, US aircraft has lost windows over schools/residential areas in recent years.

I didn't listen to the other speakers. Princess Hisako didn't need to wear a mask in her own home so I found it noteworthy that she did regardless of government guidelines/common practice in Japan.

It's interesting that Princess Takamado's remarks are open to being interpreted as referencing some very divisive political issues, though she obviously did not take a side on those issues. I wonder if one of the senior royals, who (apart from the Emperor Emeritus) typically appear to make fewer references to political issues compared to more junior royals, would have included it in their speech.

Last edited:
On September 29th, Princess Hisako attended the opening of her photo exhibition "Birds of the Wind" at Osaka University of Arts Sky Campus in Osaka, Osaka Prefecture. The exhibition, which runs September 30 - October 14, features 73 photos taken by the princess who is a visiting professor and has a Ph.D. (Arts and Culture) from the university.

Photos: https://abeno.keizai.biz/headline/3541/
https://abeno.keizai.biz/photoflash/9020/
https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/media/2020/09/20200930-OYO1I50001-1.jpg

At the opening ceremony, Princess Hisako wore a face mask from a collaboration between her patronage BirdLife International and direct marketing company Felissimo. 100 yen per mask from the sales (980 yen per mask) will go to BirdLife.

https://tokyo.birdlife.org/archives/news/18863
https://www.felissimo.co.jp/kraso/gcd650568/

Last edited:
On October 4th, Princess Hisako attended a charity event organized by the Beirut Support Group to raise money for recovery from the blast that took place in Lebanon August 4.

Noh theatre charity event raises money for Lebanon | Arab News Japan
A "Pray for Beirut" charity event held in Tokyo on Sunday raised about $100,000 in pledged donations for Lebanon following the massive explosions at the Beirut port in August.

The event featured a traditional Japanese Noh play, the oldest surviving form of Japanese theatre, Arabic music and a Lebanese banquet.

The event was held at a Noh theatre in the Cerulean Hotel in Tokyo and was attended by Princess Takamado in a show of support and solidarity of the people of Japan for Lebanon.

Proceeds from tickets and a charity auction went to the Japanese Red Cross and UNESCO.

[...]

:previous: More photos of Princess Hisako at the charity event for Beirut:
On October 6th, Princess Hisako attended the opening of the 2020/23rd photo exhibition "At Home in Japan - Japan through Diplomats' Eyes" at Roppongi Hills Cafe in Tokyo.

Princess Hisako appears in the 2020 video invitation, uploaded on May 15, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlB1eRd61cg

Last edited:
On November 24th, Princess Hisako attended the press conference for "Rubik's Cube Artist Collaboration" exhibition with the Hungarian Ambassador. The exhibition at the Hungarian Cultural Institute in Minato Ward is part of Rubik's Cube 40th Anniversary events.

shutterstock gallery

Additional photos and video at Embassy of Hungary in Japan celebrates Rubik’s cube’s 40th anniversary|Arab News Japan

https://www.arabnews.jp/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/11/bq.jpeg

ETA: voice-over translation of Princess Hisako's speech

Last edited:
On December 11th, Princess Hisako attended the remote East Asia Youth Airgun Competition 2020. The event connected teams at venues in Japan, South Korea, Singapore and China and was broadcast from "Japan Sport Olympic Square" in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

Princess Hisako became honorary president of National Rifle Association of Japan in April.

Photos: NHK

Princess Hisako appears at the award ceremonies at https://www.youtube.com/user/NRAJriflesports

hisako_airgun.jpg

airgun_women.jpg

airgun_men.jpg

:previous: more photos of Princess Hisako on December 28

On January 1st, Princess Hisako attended the Emperor's Cup JFA 100th All Japan Football Championship match between Kawasaki Frontale and Gamba Osaka at the National Stadium in Tokyo. Kawasaki Frontale won 1-0.

Photos/video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJf2QbChpLe/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJftrPDM8wk/

Found some UNICEF activities of Princess Tsuguko

November 1, 2019: Tsuguko was a guest speaker for the UNICEF Special Lecture "Current Status and Challenges of Vaccination in Africa and Asia" at Chuo University's Tama Campus' International Week.

Photos: http://globalization.chuo-u.ac.jp/report/action/2020/01/11842

August 4, 2020: Tsuguko gave an online lecture "Children's Rights and UNICEF's Work" at Yokohama University of Pharmacy.

Photo: https://www.hamayaku.ac.jp/news/index.html?id=61246?pid=16121

November 17, 2020: Tsuguko was a guest speaker at the online UNICEF Special Class "Current Situation of Street Children and What We Can Do" at Chuo University's Tama Campus.

Photos: https://globalization.chuo-u.ac.jp/report/action/2020/11/12804/

March 25, 2020: Tsuguko appeared in Japan Committee for UNICEF's online lesson "Conflict and Children"

Interesting. Were they all professional engagements for her, or were some of them charitable work?

Back
Top Bottom