Tsar Ivan VI (1740-1764)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kell

Aristocracy
City
toronto
Country
Canada
Interfax-Religion Interfax-Religion

Remains believed to be those of Russian Emperor Ivan VI found

Moscow, September 13, Interfax - Russian scientists have announced that the remains of Ivan VI, the only Russian emperor whose burial place has until now been unknown, have been found in Kholmogory.

"The probability of the remains being genuine is estimated by experts as very high," Anatoly Karanin, the head of the search group, told Interfax-Religion on Monday. The remains were found during a search for the secret grave of generalissimo Anton Ulrich Herzog von Braunschweig-Wolfenbuttel, who was buried in the village of Kholmogory, Arkhangelsk region, in 1776. The search was conducted due to a possible loss of the remains caused by the demolition of a water tower, which was built on the foundation of a destroyed church.

Among ancient graves Arkhangelsk archaeologists found a sarcophagus containing the remains of a young man whose left shoulder blade was pierced by a sword. Taking into account these circumstances and archive information, the experts assumed that the remains could be those of Ivan VI, the eldest son of the generalissimo, who could have been brought to Kholmogory where his family lived at that time. Subsequent tests confirmed the theory.

The remains found in Kholmogory were taken to Moscow at the request of Viktor Zvyagin, the head of the identification laboratory of the Russian Forensic Medicine center, Vladimir Stanulevich, secretary of the guardian council of the Emperor foundation, told Interfax-Religion.

Forensic tests performed on the remains determined that the remains were those of Ivan VI. "At this time, there is not a single fact contradicting this assumption. On the contrary, the number of facts and coincidences continues to grow," Stanulevich said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I hope the Russian authorities will provide him with a suitable resting place.

I haven't studied him much. Why was he buried in a remote village like that?

I haven't studied him much. Why was he buried in a remote village like that?

Russo dear,

This is a guess but I imagine after being dethroned, the powers that be did not want to give him a suitable burial and bring attention to what had been done.:ermm:

Would the siblings buried in Denmark be related to the Danish Royal Family?

Not in that way..their nearest Danish ancestor was King Christian III(1503-1559)...but their aunt Juliana,Queen of Denmark provided for them during their exiled years from Russia...

Marc23,

thank you for the information. I will need to research these people to determine their relationship to the Russian Throne and the relationship by Marriage to the Danish Throne.

Of Ivan VI's four grandparents only one was Russian and a Romanov, Catherine of Mecklenburg, the sister of Empress Anna.
On August 29, 1744, Ivan VI was separated from Anna Leopoldovna and his family and taken under the name of Grigory to Kholmogory in Arkhangelsk Province.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Catherine I know she was great, but this always angered me about her history.

His mother Grand Duchess Anna Leopoldovna of Russia acted as Regent for her son as Ivan was a child Emperor!

Back
Top Bottom