Royal Lodge, Windsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a fine image that would be: elderly brother kicks not-so-elderly brother out of family home he’s lived in for decades.

The Duke of York has a 75 year (!) lease on the Royal Lodge. That lease contract was agreed with the owner, The Crown Estate. As long as the lessee, Prince Andrew, honours his contractual obligations, the lessor will have virtually no possibility to get him "out". The Duke may have the fair expectation of using the property for 75 years at least.

It also works the other way: the 75 year lease means that the lessor may be "ensured" of 75 years of rendement on the property. This means that the lessee can not, spontaneously, end the lease.

Last edited:
we dont know what money Andrew has, its up to him and Charles to sort out wehre he lives, and if he would be better to take a smaller house.

I agree, its a private matter between Andrew and his brother.

that its a non story, all this stuff about Andrew clinging to the doorposts or Charles turning off his heating
OK, I thought your reply was to my post rather than the above.

The Duke of York has a 75 year (!) lease on the Royal Lodge. That lease contract was agreed with the owner, The Crown Estate. As long as the lessee, Prince Andrew, honours his contractual obligations, the lessor will have virtually no possibility to get him "out". The Duke may have the fair expectation of using the property for 75 years at least.

It also works the other way: the 75 year lease means that the lessor may be "ensured" of 75 years of rendement on the property. This means that the lessee can not, spontaneously, end the lease.

Security of the Prince will be the issue, not the lease.

I think it would make perfect sense for Andrew to swap homes with the Wales family. Best solution all round. However it doesn't look for Andrew to be forced into moving against his will, nor does it look good for the Wales family to take on a third huge mansion. AC is probably too small for them long term, but it can't be good for the children to keep moving house so often.

I think it would make perfect sense for Andrew to swap homes with the Wales family. Best solution all round. However it doesn't look for Andrew to be forced into moving against his will, nor does it look good for the Wales family to take on a third huge mansion. AC is probably too small for them long term, but it can't be good for the children to keep moving house so often.

I don’t think it’s too small for them. They have no live in Staff anymore. It’s quite a large house despite being relatively normal sized with four bedrooms. They have a mansion in Norfolk and a very very snazzy pied de terra.

I think they are fine.

I think long term they are looking to a Norfolk to be the family home. I am sure they would be living there now if it wasn’t for the kids schooling.

I don’t think it’s too small for them. They have no live in Staff anymore. It’s quite a large house despite being relatively normal sized with four bedrooms. They have a mansion in Norfolk and a very very snazzy pied de terra.

I think they are fine.

I think long term they are looking to a Norfolk to be the family home. I am sure they would be living there now if it wasn’t for the kids schooling.

Its difficult to see how the housing situation for the Wales family evolves for the next decade or so.

> Lovely as it is, Anmer is, and will remain a holiday home. It is not where they live in term time.

> KP will remain the London home, used when in London for engagements etc. Perhaps, longer term, as King & Queen, KP will be used as their London home, and BP as the "office".

> There principal home, IMO, for the next decade or so will be on the Windsor estate. Difficult to tell if it will be AC, Royal Lodge, or if they just move into a part of Windsor Castle itself. I see now reason why they can't just use the castle as their main home now.

It would make a lot of sense for Andrew to take the opportunity to downsize, particularly if he could cone to a financial agreement with Charles. Andrews financial, working and social lives have all evaporated so there is no need for such a large residence any more.

:previous: Andrew has children with growing young families. That could also be the reason he wants to keep RL as his home....his family.

Last edited:
It would make a lot of sense for Andrew to take the opportunity to downsize, particularly if he could cone to a financial agreement with Charles. Andrews financial, working and social lives have all evaporated so there is no need for such a large residence any more.

The logic of downsizing is impeccable. And if he were to move to a property within the Windsor secure perimeter, the cost of securing his home would also fall substantially.

It undeniably makes sense but Andrew is stubborn and is obviously thinking with his heart and his pride not his head and his wallet!

The lease on the Royal Lodge was intended to outlive Andrew. While downsizing certainly makes sense, I think a key variable is if one or both of his daughters are interested in the property and are willing and able to meet the terms of the lease.

While the bulk of her estate went to Charles, I am willing to bet that HLM left hefty bequests to her three other children where, even after taxes, they have enough to maintain their lifestyles for the rest of their lives.

What I am trying to figure out is was Andrew's income as a working royal all that substantial, and can that income be replaced? My understanding / recollection is that the monarch and Prince of Wales get funding from their respective duchies, the remaining working royals get funding for their royal work and a personal allowance from their respective patron. Andrew reportedly received an allowance of £249,000 from his mother. While that is not chump change, I suspect that there are discreet endeavors that Andrew can engage in to replace his allowance. One thought that crossed my mind is that the Royal Lodge, in and of itself, can be a source of income. My understanding is that Prince Edward is allowed to generate income from Bagshot Park, I wonder if the same is true with The Royal Lodge? Could Andrew aand his family, for example, host shooting parties or other events at the Royal Lodge?

Again, as noted above, if Andrew wants to downsize, that is understandable, especially if his daughters have no interest in the Royal Lodge, but if the Yorks want to keep the Royal Lodge for the remainder of the lease, I don't see that as unworkable, assuming that they have the competency to do so.

Royal Lodge is situated in Windsor Great Park. The public are able to enter every day. Entrance is free. Shoots in England are almost always held on country estates of hundreds of acres.
Below is some info on Windsor Great Park showing some of its attractions. While, obviously, the public is not allowed to roam about Prince Andrew’s property and gardens, I don’t think his land would be suitable for holding shoots somehow.

https://www.windsorgreatpark.co.uk/... is open,sessions at the Environmental Centre.

And some information about possible maintenance costs.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1780583/prince-andrew-royal-lodge-queen-s-will

Last edited:
It undeniably makes sense but Andrew is stubborn and is obviously thinking with his heart and his pride not his head and his wallet!

He spent a great deal of his personal capital over the years refurbishing the property, possibly several million pounds, in the expectation that he and his family would be living there for the duration of the lease. He paid for a 75-year lease. He IS thinking with his wallet to some extent as he is out that money if he moves.

Back
Top Bottom