Princess Benedikte's 80th Birthday Celebrations: April - May 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a very sweet gesture! The royal couple hosting a birthday lunch.
"The royal couple had today invited Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte and family to a birthday lunch at Frederik VIII's Palace at Amalienborg.
Princess Benedikte turned 80 yesterday and was born and raised in Frederik VIII's Palace. The mansion is today the residence of Their Majesties the King and Queen."

Interesting to hear she has moved permanently to Amalienborg now. I do feel a bit sorry for her if she has traded in a whole castle for a (fair enough palace based) apartment.

Interesting to hear she has moved permanently to Amalienborg now. I do feel a bit sorry for her if she has traded in a whole castle for a (fair enough palace based) apartment.

She never lived inside the actual castle. Richard and Benedikte lived in the 'Münze', a (still quite big house) behind the castle. It's probably still hers, I doubt she was pushed out.

She never lived inside the actual castle. Richard and Benedikte lived in the 'Münze', a (still quite big house) behind the castle. It's probably still hers, I doubt she was pushed out.
Indeed. And if need be she could still have an entire floor or even a whole wing at Schloss Berleburg all to herself, where she could live and come and go as she pleases for days without even meeting her son and daughter-in-law.
And in any way there is a new lady-of-the-manor at Berleburg now, so it's courteous to move out and allow the next generation to shine without Benedikte looming in the background.
Not that I for a moment suspect that to be a problem for Benedikte. She both understand, accept and approve of how the system works.

Good to know thank you! I am sure she is always welcome at Schloss Berleburg. I just think at her age personally I'd probably be doing it the other way around and not moving in to a city apartment BUT I love she is living "next door" (and it seems "across the corridor") from her sisters.

Good to know thank you! I am sure she is always welcome at Schloss Berleburg. I just think at her age personally I'd probably be doing it the other way around and not moving in to a city apartment BUT I love she is living "next door" (and it seems "across the corridor") from her sisters.
And who knows? Perhaps even closer?
I imagine there is plenty of room in the mansion used by QMII at Amalienborg to accommodate a sister or two. So Benedikte may actually only use her apartment when she wants to be alone or she has guests over or QMII is away somewhere or QMII has guests visiting.
And there is certainly enough room at Fredensborg for all three sisters too. Again without them having to rub shoulders all day.

True, possibly best of both worlds - being with your sister when you want and yet also having somewhere to escape to just you.

And who knows? Perhaps even closer?
I imagine there is plenty of room in the mansion used by QMII at Amalienborg to accommodate a sister or two. So Benedikte may actually only use her apartment when she wants to be alone or she has guests over or QMII is away somewhere or QMII has guests visiting.
And there is certainly enough room at Fredensborg for all three sisters too. Again without them having to rub shoulders all day.
Isn't Benedikte living in Christian VIII's Palace (of which a part is open to the public), while Margrethe is living next door in Frederick VIII's Palace?!

How is the relationship of Princess Benedikte with the German Royals ?

Isn't Benedikte living in Christian VIII's Palace (of which a part is open to the public), while Margrethe is living next door in Frederick VIII's Palace?!
Their mansions are opposite actually. I.e. facing each other across the square, so Benedikte will have to cross the square in order to get "home" to her apartment, so to speak.
And of course Benedikte can just cross the square relatively incognito, but I think it is often more convenient if she simply retire to her own suite (could be PH's old rooms) rather than getting dressed in order to walk a 100 meters - often in pouring rain.
Another option is to walk across the colonnade connecting QMII's mansion to the guest/representative mansion and then quickly pop across a road via a side door to the mansion with her apartment.
- Forgive my rambling, I just love to explore practical solutions to even relatively simple problems.

I suspect that sometimes the alarms go off because someone within the DRF forget to turn off the alarm after visiting each other at the mansions.
Because it happens quite frequently that the alarms go off at Amalienborg and the guards are alerted. They never reveal the details in documentaries, but I wonder if it sometime is perhaps QMII or Benedikte who simply forgot the alarm.

-----------------------

ADDED:
A photo of Amalienborg

If we start with the mansion in the lower right corner: That's where the current Regent Couple live.

Lower left corner: QMII's residence. (And when the time comes, Christian's future residence.

That residence in connected via a colonnade to the guest/representative mansion in the upper left corner.

Benedikte and J&M's apartments are located in the mansion in the upper right corner. That's also where the museum is.
There are a number of workshops for artisans working for the court in the courtyard behind the mansion. So the apartments have no garden, so to speak. - So as I see it there is plenty of room for four very spacious apartments in that mansion.
Six even, if we count the wings.

If you look to the left of the photo, a bit down the street from the colonnade there is a orange-like building with a black roof (actually glazed tiles). Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's the Yellow Mansion/Palais. That's where the DRF administration is located.
As you can tell it's easy to pop over to QMII's mansion from there. - A little further to FX&QM's mansion now.

ADDED.

A number of the apartment buildings close to Amalienborg is at disposal for members of the staff. Both active and retired. Here they live for a very affordable rent in one of the most desired and expensive areas of Copenhagen city. You may recall that Nikolai for a period lived in one of these apartments.

Last edited:

Frederik and Mary live in Frederik VIII's Palace. Margrethe lives in Christian IX's Palace.

Thanks, I mixed up Margrethe and Frederik & Mary's residences. I knew Benedikte's was in the museum-palace as I visited Amalienborg last summer.

So, we've got:
Christian VII's Palace - representative functions
Christian VIII's Palace - museum & apartments for Benedikte and Joachim & Marie
Frederik VIII's Palace - Frederik, Mary & family
Christian IX's Palace - Margrethe

Their mansions are opposite actually. I.e. facing each other across the square, so Benedikte will have to cross the square in order to get "home" to her apartment, so to speak.
And of course Benedikte can just cross the square relatively incognito, but I think it is often more convenient if she simply retire to her own suite (could be PH's old rooms) rather than getting dressed in order to walk a 100 meters - often in pouring rain.
Another option is to walk across the colonnade connecting QMII's mansion to the guest/representative mansion and then quickly pop across a road via a side door to the mansion with her apartment.
- Forgive my rambling, I just love to explore practical solutions to even relatively simple problems.

I suspect that sometimes the alarms go off because someone within the DRF forget to turn off the alarm after visiting each other at the mansions.
Because it happens quite frequently that the alarms go off at Amalienborg and the guards are alerted. They never reveal the details in documentaries, but I wonder if it sometime is perhaps QMII or Benedikte who simply forgot the alarm.

-----------------------

ADDED:
A photo of Amalienborg

If we start with the mansion in the lower right corner: That's where the current Regent Couple live.

Lower left corner: QMII's residence. (And when the time comes, Christian's future residence.

That residence in connected via a colonnade to the guest/representative mansion in the upper left corner.

Benedikte and J&M's apartments are located in the mansion in the upper right corner. That's also where the museum is.
There are a number of workshops for artisans working for the court in the courtyard behind the mansion. So the apartments have no garden, so to speak. - So as I see it there is plenty of room for four very spacious apartments in that mansion.
Six even, if we count the wings.

If you look to the left of the photo, a bit down the street from the colonnade there is a orange-like building with a black roof (actually glazed tiles). Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's the Yellow Mansion/Palais. That's where the DRF administration is located.
As you can tell it's easy to pop over to QMII's mansion from there. - A little further to FX&QM's mansion now.
Thanks Muhler!! This is very helpful! I can never figure out which palace is which - all I know if that Frederik 8th is the only one with a clock.

What are the white buildings in the lower right corner (to the edge of the photo) that almost seem connected to Frederik 8th? The multi-story white buildings?

Thanks Muhler!! This is very helpful! I can never figure out which palace is which - all I know if that Frederik 8th is the only one with a clock.

What are the white buildings in the lower right corner (to the edge of the photo) that almost seem connected to Frederik 8th? The multi-story white buildings?
You are welcome.

I would say that the two story white building with the glazed roof is an apartment building for some of the staff, because there is a gate at the end of the wall facing the street outside FX&QM's residence, which look "shared" with the DRF. We have on occasion seen FX&QM with children standing at that gate, whenever something interesting passed along the street, say royal run or cycling.
FX&QM's residence is also the only one with a (much used) terrace facing the harbor.
Their bedroom BTW is located on the floor just above the terrace. Their private kitchen is behind the windows facing the terrace.

Last edited:
oh now I recognize the black gate! They have been shown coming out of that gate. The view from that terrace - I am sure is fantastic! No wonder, they've been shown just walking to the harbor! So close...!

Is that where they will officially board the royal yacht on Thursday? If so, I wonder if they will just walk from their home?

Today Billed-Bladet has shared the photos taken during the birthday interview at Benedikte's apartment at Amalienborg last week:

This article has a number of pictures of Benedikte's apartment. It also says she is temporarily using an apartment on the "mezzanine floor" (not really sure what that means) but has an apartment on the floor below that is being renovated, it is hoped she will be in residence "later this year". It also talks about how her living room door is just across a hallway from her sister Anne-Marie's (not sure if they mean in the temporary apartment or her usual one).

Nice seeing pics from inside overlooking the square.

What a very sweet gesture! The royal couple hosting a birthday lunch.
"The royal couple had today invited Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte and family to a birthday lunch at Frederik VIII's Palace at Amalienborg.
Princess Benedikte turned 80 yesterday and was born and raised in Frederik VIII's Palace. The mansion is today the residence of Their Majesties the King and Queen."

What a lovely family photo!

oh now I recognize the black gate! They have been shown coming out of that gate. The view from that terrace - I am sure is fantastic! No wonder, they've been shown just walking to the harbor! So close...!

Is that where they will officially board the royal yacht on Thursday? If so, I wonder if they will just walk from their home?

It is. It's only about 125 meters or so from the gate to their mansion. If the weather is fine, and it should be, I'm sure they will walk. It's a good photo-op without actually having one.
Today Billed-Bladet has shared the photos taken during the birthday interview at Benedikte's apartment at Amalienborg last week:

This article has a number of pictures of Benedikte's apartment. It also says she is temporarily using an apartment on the "mezzanine floor" (not really sure what that means) but has an apartment on the floor below that is being renovated, it is hoped she will be in residence "later this year". It also talks about how her living room door is just across a hallway from her sister Anne-Marie's (not sure if they mean in the temporary apartment or her usual one).

Nice seeing pics from inside overlooking the square.
The mezzanine floor is the floor just under the roof. The view is still great and there is of course much more privacy and there is still plenty of space.
I can tell from the shape of the windows that this is her temporary apartment and As far as I can tell she is using the apartment to the right when facing the mansion from the square. I.e. the apartment closest to the Regent Couple's mansion.
I suppose Queen Anne-Marie's apartment will also get a makeover. And I'm pretty sure the sisters live on the same floor.
And if Benedikte now temporarily live above her normal apartment, that leads me to conclude that J&M live on the mezzanine floor over Queen Anne-Marie's apartment.

Back
Top Bottom