General Discussion about Dutch Royal Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The royal house only has three palaces on its official website:

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/onderwerpen/paleizen

But a few years ago they added more palaces:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130328062349/http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/encyclopedie/paleizen/

Why did they withdraw?

The archived version (from Beatrix' reign!) includes both the formal state-owned palaces and other houses and former palaces (that are no longer in use as palace). King Willem-Alexander decided to only include the state-owned palaces that are also used to carry out the role of head of state.

What are the options for Princess Catherine Amalia in the future? It doesn't look like there is an extra palace for the crown princess.

What are the options for Princess Catherine Amalia in the future? It doesn't look like there is an extra palace for the crown princess.

The Dutch royal family doesn't tend to live in palaces. Only the monarch and his/her family do nowadays. Amalia lived most of her life at Villa Eikenhorst, so that would most likely be available to her if she would want to live there. Her father also lived near (but not in) Palace Noordeinde in an apartment. I believe it is currently used by princess Beatrix when she is in The Hague, so that could be another option.

And if she would like to live somewhere else, I am sure they'll find a way to make it happen (if the security situation allows for it - which unfortunately prevented her from living in a student home in Amsterdam).

The Dutch royal family doesn't tend to live in palaces. Only the monarch and his/her family do nowadays. Amalia lived most of her life at Villa Eikenhorst, so that would most likely be available to her if she would want to live there. Her father also lived near (but not in) Palace Noordeinde in an apartment. I believe it is currently used by princess Beatrix when she is in The Hague, so that could be another option.

And if she would like to live somewhere else, I am sure they'll find a way to make it happen (if the security situation allows for it - which unfortunately prevented her from living in a student home in Amsterdam).

I can see her living at Drakensteyn, her grandmother's idyllic and secluded mansion in the forests behind Soestdijk Palace: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DB0FJJ/ae...le-and-its-park-near-lage-vuursche-DB0FJJ.jpg

But of course Villa Eikenhorst, equally hidden in lush forests, is an option too: https://images.hola.com/imagenes/re...es/holandesa/maxima/0-45-866/2003-07-15-a.jpg

Or the very comfortable house of her aunt Princess Margriet, in the forests near Het Loo Palace:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/07/9c/1b079c1cfca8e534d7e7e06a1a7e3bab.jpg

And there are two annexes in the park of Huis ten Bosch Palace (used as a pied-à-terre by Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien and used as appartments for Prince Claus in the last stage of his life) where the Princess of Orange can live a private life but still within the security perimeter of the palace.

Last edited:
:previous:

Drakensteyn and the villa of Margriet may still be occupied by the time Amalia needs a residence of her own. Also, their heirs may prefer to sell it on the normal real estate market as the properties will probably sell for more money than when it is sold underhand to the Crown princess. Both properties are not close to The Hague and perhaps inpractical. Neither may Amalia be inclined to settle in such a place while in her twenties, as it must be boring for a young girl.

My guess would be that the princess will use an appartment in the palace Noordeinde while she is single. The apartment of Pss Christina was above the stables IIRC. Afterwards maybe she will settle in Eikenhorst - or maybe something new will be constructed on the same estate.

In terms of palaces: nothing is available as all is repurposed. Juliana was the last one who used grand properties as the heiress: Soestdijk Palace in Baarn and Palace Kneuterdijk in the Hague (the latter she seldom used).

Last edited:

Drakensteyn and the villa of Margriet may still be occupied by the time Amalia needs a residence of her own. Also, their heirs may prefer to sell it on the normal real estate market as the properties will probably sell for more money than when it is sold underhand to the Crown princess. Both properties are not close to The Hague and perhaps inpractical. Neither may Amalia be inclined to settle in such a place while in her twenties, as it must be boring for a young girl.

My guess would be that the princess will use an appartment in the palace Noordeinde while she is single. The apartment of Pss Christina was above the stables IIRC. Afterwards maybe she will settle in Eikenhorst - or maybe something new will be constructed on the same estate.

In terms of palaces: nothing is available as all is repurposed. Juliana was the last one who used grand properties as the heiress: Soestdijk Palace in Baarn and Palace Kneuterdijk in the Hague (the latter she seldom used).

An appartment at the Royal Mews would be a nice solution, as the complex is within the security perimiter of Noordeinde Palace and the Princess can go, via the palace park, to the Royal House Archives or to Noordeinde Palace, both located at the same park.

Royal Mews at Noordeinde Palace seen from the street:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5d/24/cc/5d24cc5ba0687358b789418bb11b1d43.jpg

Inner courtyard of the Royal Mews at Noordeinde Palace:
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/binar...prinsjesdag-2018-koninklijke-stallen-1920.jpg

Royal Mews at Noordeinde Palace seen from the palace park:
https://i0.wp.com/www.followmyfootp...loads/2018/05/paleistuin-blog.jpg?w=662&ssl=1

Another possibility to have a nice appartment in the Royal Mews at Het Loo Palace:
https://d3e1m60ptf1oym.cloudfront.n...to-apeldoorn-koninklijkestallen-1_xgaplus.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if she would use the building that Beatrix uses as a pied-à-terre?

I imagine Beatrix´ will still need to use that pied-à-terre for herself, for when she is in The Hague.

The PM clarified more during a talk with RTL Nieuws. He says that the income will be used to build up an independent secretariat, a reservation will be made for future living/ and working place and thirdly eventual other costs due to her visibility and the expectations around representation. The latter will be limited for now so the largest part will go to the second component, the reservation for a future place to work and live.

The Prime Minister adds that due to the Law on the Royal House she will be entitled for a house and an office provided by the state. She will not be using that as it would have brought along many costs as well. Instead this contruction now has been chosen, as was the case for her father (Noordeinde 66 and later Villa Eikenhorst) and her grandmother (Drakensteijn Castle).

Let's hope she has a frugal nature as real estate prices in The Hague and Wassenaar have also increased a lot & will certainly need substantial savings. I suppose in due course the easiest thing would be to have another villa constructed on the Horsten estate near Eikenhorst as the security infrastructure will still be there, though I am not sure there is that much space without the cutting of trees and such, which will probably lead to never ending court cases by evironmental organisations and neighbours. It would be refreshing if she opted something a bit further from The Hague. I believe Beatrix owns the largest part of the forest between Drakensteijn and Soestdijk. Time will tell.

Wouldn't the Eikenhorst itself be available for Amalia to use? It already has the security infrastructure, so that part is easy to take care of. It is more of a family home than a 'young adult place', so I can see why she would rather live in the city but that might be rather complicated to achieve - although she could pick either Leiden or Delft instead of The Hague if she wants to venture out a little bit more and still be close to The Hague.

Delft (as well as Voorburg) has some really nice houses/villas on the Vliet (a canal), so she could still be close or even in the city center while living on a property that could be secured somewhat easily.

Currently, this former country estate, 's Gravenmade, between The Hague and Delft (in Rijswijk) is for sale: Je bent bijna op de pagina die je zoekt [funda]

Last edited:
The Eikenhorst is now rented out for 120.000 Euros per year. It is the private property of the King. I don´t know if he can miss such a substantial sum or if it is a wise investment for Amalia to be paying that much rent each year. She will also want to renovate it. And in a more predictable scenario she will already move out 10-15 years later, after which it will need to renevated again for the return of WA and Máxima. I imagine that will raise some very high eyebrows.

It is perhaps a sounder investment to buy/construct something for herself when she starts a family. But if the King or she can miss the money the most practical option would indeed be Eikenhorst.

That place in Rijswijk is indeed lovely. But with 240 square meters perhaps too small for the heiress. And too close to the road, too visible for onlookers and little space for protective walls such as we see around Drakensteyn and Huis ten Bosch. Her grandmother and father both preferred the privacy that a house in a forest area can provide, I suspect Amalia may be of the same opinion.

I suspect the most sensible thing would be to turn De Horsten into some sort of royal reservoir, as happened with Laeken near Brussels and Windsor Great park and its various outer buildings. It seems that both Queen Juliana as Queen Beatrix regarded it as something that needed to be left to the monarch.. The estate was inherited by Queen Beatrix -though some properties are now used by Margriet;s younger sons. And in 2017 she handed it over to the King. He may do the same and hand over the estate to his eldest daughter eventually though I am not sure if that will include the villa itself as he and/or his wife will most likely live there after a possible future abdication. Perhaps the best thing would be to put the whole estate in some sort of foundation too, as has been done with the jewels and art work.

Constructing there may be possible but will be complicated: neighbours, environmental organisations etc. will surely complain and go to court as we saw with the construction and renovation of Eikenhorst and later of some of the houses of the cousins. I am not sure if there is space, much of it will be protected by nature & environmental laws and the estate is open to the public for the largest part. But though it may be difficult it is not impossible.

I don't expect her to be able to take over Drakensteyn for a reduced price from her grandmother, as WA did with the Eikenhorst, as there is much less for Beatrix to leave to her sons and grandchildren than there was in Juliana's case. But if Beatrix intends to leave the largest parts to her eldest son it could be an easier area to construct something new: much more space, less neighbours and with longstanding connections to the family too, as the forests close to Soestdijk ahve been in the family for centuries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom